Sunday, September 26, 2004

Yet More Brunch Highlites

I couldn't sleep after a suprisingly busy Saturday night. For some reason I kept thinking about my health and telling myself I have to quit smoking. Of course, keeping yourself awake for no reason is excellent for not smoking. So I was even more overjoyed at the prospect of another brunch. I forgot to mention my other favorite people who are the ones who show up before you open. Just reverse the 20 minutes until you close rant and you have the polar opposite pain. Most of the customers today were regulars so it was relatively painless. My sous-chef and I amused ourselves by running interference on a friend of ours trying to get laid by using text messages. I love technology. High tech juvenile delinquency. I forgot I had to pay extra for text messages.
Anyway it was busy but oddly we had a good time.I think it was ok because most people ordered the cool, trippy sounding egg dishes and very few boring 2 eggs scrambled with bacon. We had a good time until......the 2 old ladies spawned from the mouth of Hell entered. Early.
"Do we get coffee?!" Yes. If you fucking order it.
Then their food came but it was too hot(thermally, not spiciness) to eat. Then they said it got too cold for them to eat. Right. They actually complained about the food being too hot and then too cold. At this point, I usually give the waiter carte blanche to deal with them as they see fit which is usually handled by ignoring their table. I have a full restaurant of people enjoying themselves and us and honestly, I just don't need or care about these 2 old complaining bitches. They have relegated themselves to being OUR victims. Anyway, they complained about EVERYTHING, not realizing the more one complains the less they'll get. If they were cool old ladies we might have taken the dish off the bill, but they wanted to play hardball with the major leaguers. So they get nothing. After they left, all was well and we all insulted them heartily. Then the phonecalls. FOUR of them!! They called us four fucking times and bitched. They even called the person who gave them a gift certificate and bitched to them. This was a GOOD day at brunch. It can never just be totally painless. Unless of course you're still flying high on Percodans and booze from the night before. Trust me though, they rarely last past 12:30 . Prime brunch time.
That is really all that happened today. I had some friends in and I didn't actually involve myself that much in the whole brunch "experience". Now however, it's on to the dinner shift.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My boss forces me to work brunch and for that I'd like to kill him. Who gets all dressed up to eat eggs?
The only thing that gets me through is looking at the old stiffs and wondering if they are alive or not!
Keep on posting!

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I manage a restaurant in Colorado and whenever I write the floor schedule for brunch I always apologize for it. If anything ever makes me quit, it will probbaly be brunch.

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the AngryChef I say BRAVO! If only all these horrible people knew the pain and suffering they cause. I don't understand why people need to drag Grandma and Grandpa out of their nursing homes, dress the children in their Sunday best and pester some poor Chef with stupid requests. Why can't people realize that they would probably be much happier at home with their parents and children far away enjoying the same overcooked eggs and burnt toast that they are used to.

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the AngryChef I say BRAVO! If only all these horrible people knew the pain and suffering they cause. I don't understand why people need to drag Grandma and Grandpa out of their nursing homes, dress the children in their Sunday best and pester some poor Chef with stupid requests. Why can't people realize that they would probably be much happier at home with their parents and children far away enjoying the same overcooked eggs and burnt toast that they are used to.

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To me it's projection. It's the kids projecting THEIR wants onto the grandparents. It's like Father's day. Let's get Dad up early and spend all day with him forcing him to do what we feel he wants. You know what he really wants? To wake up late, ONE DAY a year, in an empty house and do what he wants without the wife and rats!

AC

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

>>You know what he really wants? To wake up late, ONE DAY a year, in an empty house and do what he wants without the wife and rats!<<

If the marketing geniuses that come up with the clever beer commercials wanted to tap a new vein of male thinking, they'd come up with a commercial around father's day that illustrates this Truth.

So we know it won't happen.

AC, yer like a freaking LASERBEAM!

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home