Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Your Foie Gras Has Been Terminated

California has banned the sale of foie gras. Yep. The Governor who made his career pumping iron, groping women and making movies about killing anything and everything that moves ( has he had a great fucking life or what?), has suddenly buckled under to the animal rights activists and his string pulling wife, and decided to eliminate hundreds of years of culinary bliss and tradition. The thing that really pisses me off is that do you think Kindergarten Cop won't get it and eat if he wants? What the Hell is going on in California? Everyday it's turning more and more into someone's sick version of Utopia. Oxygen bars, a Nazi-(oops...sorry Arny)like war on smoking( which everyone realizes is a foul, disgusting and deadly habit...BUT it's still personal choice) and now you can't eat foie gras?
Let me say for the record I've spent a lot of time in California and I love it. I can tolerate the smoking issue because I simply go smoke when I want to. I just break the laws I don't like. But the foie gras thing has me really shaking my head in absolute dis-belief. Few things in life are better than George Morrone's Yellowfin Tuna with Seared Foie Gras, but it's not even that one dish. It's foie gras itself. It's fucking great. It is such an integral part of traditional cuisine that who actually thinks they have the right to say we can't eat it? WHO? You're meddling and tampering with culinary tradition. No one has the right to do that! Not me, not any other twisted culinarian and certainly not an ex-bodybuilder! This stamping out of pleasure in our society and replacing with FORCED compassion is another small right stripping that really bugs the shit out of me. Wanna have a safer society? Why not pull out the Declaration of independence, pull out a pocket knife and cut out the parts we don't like? Smoking and drinking kill millions of people each year. Period. Yet because of the sickening amount of money the tobacco industry generates ,well, we'll just put up some more warnings and let the legal murder continue. Let's get rid of cigars Arnold, would that be ok with you? Of course not! You should be allowed to smoke your expensive turds if you want. It's basically a " Fuck people, let's focus on a duck" mentality and I think it's warped. I like animals as much as anyone, in fact I prefer my dogs to most people, but I also have long ago accepted that in the food industry, animals are treated as inhumanely as they could ever be but that's how it is. It's not right, but that's how it is. This position of " until we find a more humane way to produce foie gras" is asinine. How are we going to do that? How are you going to force a living creature's liver to become swollen humanely? I was thinking about this today and I though well, an alcoholic's liver swells..so why don't we turn the ducks into alcoholics. Let them drink nothing but Port and maybe their livers will swell from alcoholism. Also think how fucking good it would be to be marinated with Port from the inside!.
No, why don't we just do this. Why don't we just eat foie gras if we want? Why don't assholes like Hizzoner focus on the true problems in our society and stop trying to pin the blame on everything that has some slight sensuality to it from sexual preference to luxurious food. The problem isn't the poor ducks. The problem is laws being enabled by people who live in gated community fantasy worlds who have no earthly idea what anyone wants. I say we as chefs create a national foie gras day. An unofficial holiday celebrating the glories of this insanely delicious product.
Hasta la vista freedom. Right Arnold?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read that ducks that produced fois gras were force fed through tubes and made miserable so that their chopped up livers which produced the fois gras could be sold at expensive prices. This is along the same lines as veal, which were baby cows who were force fed then butchered.

Angry Chef, I love ya, and have followed your blog and you make so much sense. But supporting veal and fois gras seems unseemly to me. Sort of like supporting abortion and such. But then again I admit my guilt: Why is it okay to eat adult meat but not children meat? Why is it okay to kill adult animals but not children animals?

I'm so confused . . .

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I'm confused. I simply don't feel guilty about being a human at the top of the food chain. That's what we are. And for the record, I support abortion 100%. It's a woman's right to abort a baby if she doesn't want it or feels as though she can't support it..or even if she just doesn't want it. I think we should be able to practice abortion up until 18 years old! One could always be a vegetarian if one chooses. Then someone else can argue about the displacement of animal families for the raising of crops or the fact that plants have shown responses to pain and pleasure...so where does the hair splitting stop? The raising of veal and production of foie gras ARE cruel, I just don't care. I'd prefer that we would concentrate on human atrocities.

A.C.

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I may be in love with you.

For whatever it's worth, I just ate a nice thick slice of my own non-foie gras (a homemade duck & chicken liver terrine) on homemade pain de campagne, briefly broiled. With a small glass of the leftover Burgundy from last night. And a black gilliflower apple from a friend's tree.

For breakfast. And it was good.

You are such a breath of fresh air. Seriously. I'll be back for more.

5:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Halle - fuckin - llujah! I live in California, don't even care for foie gras, but I think this law is fucking ridiculous. Where are the assholes protesting the way cows are treated for the 50 cent burgers at Mcdonalds? It boggles my mind how the pricks in charge can pick and choose which things are "bad" for society. I love the concern for this shit that comes from the self righteous elite who think it's alright to drive around in the biggest fucking SUV they can find, or better yet Hummers like out dear governor,suck up more and more gas and spew more and more fumes into the air, and then bitch about people smoking in bars and eating something that has been considered a delicacy for years. It sets a sickening precident.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds great to me. And for breakfast even. Now that's how to do it.

A.C.

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy your rants on the odd occasion that a friend forwards me a link to your site.

However, the hair is split where one wishes to split said hair and I am vegetarian. I believe that when humanity truly understands compassion, we will all choose not to kill other beings for our sustenance or pleasure.

Until that time I must insist that humanity, by and large, is a barbaric creature quite unworthily named civilised.

I understand we are all educated in many varied ways and what seems truth to one may be vile lies to another, but I need to state my thoughts or feel guilty for potentially allowing my silence to unwittingly validate your position.

Sincerely,
Mathew.

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personal choice is what it's all about. Great people choose to swallow sperm,and technically murder millions in one gulp. That's their business. Who cares? Maybe we should protest blowjobs?

Our barbarsim is one of the most endearing qualities of our species. Compassion? Who wants a weak, love each other bunch of tree huggers? Stick to your broccoli. Give me the hog and hammer.

A.C.

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So some hoity toity folks can't eat their diseased liver. Boo hoo.

Just because something is called "tradition" doesn't mean it's good.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what foi gras is and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Furthermore I have been to places like France and have been to tours of the foi gras farms. They are treated much better than you think and better than US chickens and turkeys. I had a personal tour and the ducks are dumb they eat what they want until the last month where they do feed by tube but I witnessed it in person and the ducks are not unhappy at all. They are like goldfish in that they love to eat and yes their liver is expanded but they are not treated badly. At least the farms I have seen in France. I commented to him that he could sell more as he had room but he replied," I am happy with my fixed amount I do every year and when they sell out they gone". Maybe US duck farms with our capitalistic tendencies over cram the ducks per square feet and that should be changed, but to outlaw them is NOT right!

Foi gras should be available to anyone whom wants to eat it. The ducks if treated like the farms I visited in France are not treated in humanly. I feel we should do all efforts in making sure all duck farms treat their ducks correctly but not ban them at all! The ducks I witnessed are treated like royalty and only their last month do they get fed twice a day with a tube and believe me they are not suffering.

I will make every effort to educate people that foi gras is a great food and that the ducks are not treated badly! I think ignorant people taking it to the extreme and should be ashamed at their tactics and misrepresentation of foi gras!

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home