Thursday, March 17, 2005

Good Cop/Bad Cop

My Sous Chef of many years has moved to New York. I can't blame him as New York is the greatest dining city in the world. Paris you argue? Try getting 2 with chili, cheese and kraut and a Yoo-Hoo by the Thames . It ain't gonna happen Gus. He did his job above and beyond and always will. His talents will be missed and I wish him all the best. He was one of the "1 in50." Anyway this blog is about the unsung heroes of the restaurant kitchen. The Sous-Chef. For those of you lucky enough not to be raised by this business, the Sous Chef is the Chef's deputy. His right hand man. His lieutenant and nine times out of ten, his confidant. He executes the Chef's words and gets them into action at whatever the cost to himself or others. He will work circles around anybody on any station, better, faster and only thinking about what's next. The good ones anyway.
Just starting in my kitchen? I'm not gonna talk to you. Who's this piss ant? Not until you prove yourself. Nope, my Sous Chef will handle that. If you don't like how he talks to you, fuck off and die. He hurt your feelings? Good. I want him to. Who do you think you are? An individual? Oh please...you're either a asset or a liability to the pursuit of cuisine and if you have thin skin, you're a liability. I love hearing cooks whine about the Sous Chef. Awww....can you do as much as fast without question? Stop bitching about people with commitment, principles and pride.
The best one also possess the all important quality of clairvoyance. They know what you want before you ask for it. They finish your sentences and don't say.." You didn't say to..." I know. I thought it. I spoke to a colleague of mine who said he has to let the Sous Chef go because he's been there for 7 months and he can't finish his sentences yet. My question is, what took so long?
Bear this in mind when you want to cry about the Sous Chef. He's the barrier between you and me. You think he's an asshole? You haven't even seen shit. He's actually the good cop. Doesn't seem like it does it? My Sous Chefs operate at a consistent level of aggression. I operate at two levels; Controlled chaos and absolute psychotic rage . When I'm that pissed, I feel like killing you. I'm not joking.
Good Sous Chefs don't drop the ball. They don't question what you want, they just do it. They get it done. I am grateful to all my Sous Chefs over the years. They're all mean, rude, hyper and don't give a fuck about anything but the job to be done. I'd love to see them all get together and kick the shit out of Norman Rockwell.
You guys fucking rock. Keep up the good work and remember, if everyone hates you, you must be doing something right.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell Yeah.

Paul

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Thames is in London, not France.

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I was thinking of the Seine, but Thames came out. Good pointmissing.

A.C.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a simpler way to avoid eling with the sous chef so much. Work bakery. You show up ten every night and leave just before the lunch rush.

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks man, I miss you too

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks man, I miss you too

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice to see that someone else feels the same way ...

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My girfriend doesnt understand why I am the way I am. Im going to show her this. thanx

4:13 PM  
Blogger werd said...

youre a douche bag and have no idea what it means to be a chef i highly doubt that you even own youre own rest. i think you didn't make it through culinary school and have a vendeta towards the culinary field. if you don't want to cook for people then stay home. and cook for youreself enjoy. cris

1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god, your blog is absolute wank, these entries are supposed to be a dedication to your life, and trust me ..... you suck. another old chef who thinks he knows it all. and a sous chef keeps the integrity of the team. he isnt a model to be feared. he is the line that prevents chaos .....

7:41 PM  
Blogger A.C. said...

Nope..never made it through culinary school. Too busy learning shit..wank on!

A.C.

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your line cooks are bitches they wouldn't fear the sous. This blog is right on the money man. Sous chefs gotta make things fuckin happen

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home